Organizations using the Epic EMR are always very quick to tell us two things:
- Epic has no incoming fax solution
- The Media tab in Chart Review is a nightmare for clinicians
Unbeknownst to many Epic clients, our platform can solve both of these problems in one fell swoop! And on top of that, we can reduce FTE's, reduce the amount of time it takes to get faxes and results into the EMR, and reduce data entry errors.
If you are using Epic or another EMR that doesn't have a native fax queue to facilitate classifying and attaching to a patient's chart, then your departments are forced to either scan the paper documents or import electronic faxes into the Media Manager or similar application.
This workflow is very tedious for users:
- Find the correct patient and open his or her electronic chart
- Navigate to the Media Manager or similar EMR application
- Physically scan or import the document into the EMR
- Choose the appropriate document type from often hundreds of available options (note that they often choose "Other", to the great disdain of HIM and clinicians!)
- Choose the appropriate order or encounter to which the document should be linked (note that they often don't link it to anything, also to the great disdain of HIM and clinicians)
- Free-text a document description
- Select users to whom the document should be routed
- Save and accept
After all of this effort, the clinicians are still frustrated because the documents are inconsistently typed, they often live only on the media tab instead of being linked to the appropriate order or visit, and much of the time they have a document type of "Other" making them tricky to find.
So how do we address this?
By doing all the hard work for you. We determine the document type and the date of service for the users. We integrate directly with the EMR to find the correct patient, order, and/or encounter for you so the document shows up exactly where you want it to. We can standardize the document description format and make routing the document extremely easy.
A recent healthcare organization who put this into place has seen a 50% increase in productivity, a 65% drop in the number of documents being scanned as "other", and a huge reduction in paper usage. The users are extremely happy with the software and the clinicians are extremely excited with the timeliness of the data getting into the EMR where they expect it to be.
To learn more about how Extract can help your organization download the Features and Benefits data sheet.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: ROB FEA
Rob Fea leads the Professional Services and Data Capture teams at Extract. Rob plays a large role in software implementation, customer success, process improvement, and product design. Rob’s primary focus is on the healthcare suite of products. Prior to Extract, Rob spent 12 years partnering with IT teams and clinicians at major hospitals and clinics worldwide during his tenure on the technical services team at Epic. Rob supported Epic's Phoenix product, playing a major role in project kickoffs, installation, data conversions, ongoing support, and optimization. Rob watched the Phoenix customer base expand from zero to 55. This experience gave Rob expansive insight into the healthcare world, especially the solid organ transplant industry. Rob has spent countless hours on the floor in transplant departments observing multidisciplinary visits, committee review meetings, data entry, data trending, reporting, medication dosing, and more.