The benefits of an Enterprise-wide fax/scan handling solution in healthcare is part three of a series. If you haven't read Part One and Part Two, read them now! While the benefits listed in our previous posts of this series can increase efficiency, a truly good enterprise fax and scanned document handling solution is one that can automate as much of the process as possible.
- Automatically picking up and routing the document to appropriate queues for review or filing them to the EMR if all information is matched and all criteria is met.
- Automatically identifying the document type consistently.
- Automatically matching the patient on the document with a patient in your EMR.
- Automatically searching for existing orders or visits/encounters as appropriate or allowing ones to be created as part of the process.
- Automatically pre-validating any information collected against existing data in your EMR or against criteria or logic provided by your organization.
- Collecting any required clinical data such as lab results, ejection fractions, impressions, etc. to be stored as discrete data in the EMR along with the document.
By having this information automatically extracted from documents and used for intelligently routing and indexing, you save your administrative staff time, reduce backlogs, increase accuracy, and lessen the time it takes to file the document into the EMR correctly.
Achieving consistency in the classifying, routing, labeling and filing of documents in your organization can be done regularly, even if not done entirely by your HIM department. An enterprise-wide fax and scanned document handling solution can allow you to build your desired best-practices into workflows deployed throughout the enterprise and allow you to leverage your existing investments and greatly increase efficiency.
Exact Sciences benefited from the implementation of Extract's platform. They saw data entry time decrease by more than 30% and order entry rate decrease by 80%. To read the full case study, download now.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: ELLEN BZOMOWSKI
With 20 years of experience in data capture and voice recognition, Ellen’s experience has focused on achieving higher efficiency and automation in getting data where it will be most useful to an organization. At Extract Systems, she continues to focus on the same ideas and works to get the word out about how Extract Systems’ advanced data capture and redaction solutions make more data valuable and accessible, while securing anything that is private. She holds an MBA from Northeastern University and lives and works in Boston.